Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
This License and Use Agreement (this “Agreement”) is between you (“you” or “Customer”, which for the avoidance of doubt, also refers to, as applicable: your school, school district or other educational institution for which you act as a duly authorized representative or agent; users of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites or the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products (defined below) in accordance with the terms of this Agreement and the applicable Order Form(s) (defined below)) and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (as defined below) with regard to any of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites (as defined below). PLEASE READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY. By using any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Site or by clicking “Agree” you accept and agree to these terms, you signify your acknowledgment and agreement with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, as of the date on which you click or otherwise fill in the box(es) at the end of this Agreement. By clicking “Agree” you agree and acknowledge that you have been properly authorized and empowered by Customer and all other applicable Persons (as defined below) to enter into this Agreement. Each of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Customer are individually referred to herein as a “Party,” and collectively, the “Parties”.
WHEREAS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is the owner, publisher and distributor of certain online or digital educational software products carrying one of its and/or its Affiliates’ (as defined below) brands;
WHEREAS, Customer desires to purchase a perpetual, non-transferable, non-exclusive license from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt , without the right of sublicense, to use the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) under the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement (the “License”); and
WHEREAS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt desires to grant the License to Customer.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, the premises contained herein, and other good and valuable consideration, the sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, the Parties, intending to be legally bound, hereby agree as follows:
- Certain Definitions
- “Affiliate” shall mean any entity that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, or is controlled by, or is under common control with, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt or Customer, as applicable. For purposes of this definition, “control” means having the beneficial ownership, directly or indirectly, of the voting power to elect directors having a majority of the votes that directors may cast (in the case of a corporation) or managers, trustees, agents or representatives performing a similar function (in the case of an entity that is not a corporation) or the power to otherwise direct the management of such entity.
- “Agreement” shall mean this License and Use Agreement, the exhibits hereto and the applicable forms ancillary hereto, including but not limited to, the product quote provided by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (the “Quote”); purchase order from Customer in respect of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) (the “Customer PO”); and the notice of activation of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s), access start and end dates, and user name and passwords (the “Activation Notice”), as the case may be (the Quote, the Customer PO and the Activation Notice, collectively referred to herein as the “Order Form(s)”), in respect of any and all Houghton Mifflin Harcourt products or services being utilized by Customer, all of which are hereby incorporated herein by this reference.
- “Person” means any association, corporation, individual, limited liability company, partnership, trust or other nongovernmental entity or any non-governmental agency, court, authority or other body (whether foreign, federal, state, local or otherwise).
- “Houghton Mifflin Harcourt ”, “we,” “ us” or “our” refers to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt , a Delaware limited liability company, and any and all entities that control, are controlled by, or are affiliated or under common control with, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt .
- “Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s)” means any and all Houghton Mifflin Harcourt products to be accessed via the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites, including without limitation, Waggle as modified and/or updated by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt from time-to-time. The specific product(s) of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt covered by this Agreement are identified on the Order Form(s).
- License; Restrictions
- Grant of License . Subject to Customer’s timely payment of all applicable fees and compliance with the term and conditions of this Agreement, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt hereby agrees to grant, and Customer agrees to accept, the License, subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement.
- Use of License. The Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) shall be used solely for the type(s) and number of users as set forth in the applicable Order Form(s) (collectively, the “Authorized Users”) and solely for educational or instructional purposes.
- Customer Obligations; Prohibited Uses. Except as expressly provided in this Agreement, Customer shall:
- not directly or indirectly (or allow any third party to) disclose or provide any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) to any Person other than the Authorized Users;
- not directly or indirectly (or allow any third party to) license, sublicense, loan, sell, lease, rent, transfer, share or assign any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) or any portion thereof to any Person;
- not directly or indirectly (or allow any third party to) alter, reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or copy, or in any way modify or attempt to discover the source code of, any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) or the underlying software, documentation or data related thereto;
- not directly or indirectly (or allow any third party to) add to, modify, delete any portion of or make derivative works based upon any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s);
- not directly or indirectly (or allow any third party to) use any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) or allow any Person to use Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products for any commercial purposes or in any manner not set forth in this Agreement, including without limitation to (a) build a competitive product or service, (b) build a product using similar ideas, features, functions or graphics of any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s), or (c) copy any ideas, features, functions or graphics of any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s);
- take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorized or improper use or disclosure of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s);
- not directly or indirectly (or allow any third party to) reproduce on or remove from any copies of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s), any or all titles, trademarks and copyright and other proprietary or restrictive legends or notices;
- limit access to the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) to the Authorized Users and who have agreed in writing or are otherwise legally bound to observe Customer’s obligations hereunder and, in connection therewith, require all Authorized Users to agree to and abide by the terms and conditions of that certain end user agreement substantially in the form attached hereto as Exhibit A; and
- take commercially reasonable best efforts to monitor, abide by and enforce all of the foregoing provisions.
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Intellectual Property Rights. All title to and rights and interests in the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products are the exclusive proprietary property of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt . Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is the exclusive owner of all copyright, trademark, patent and other intellectual property and proprietary rights in and to the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products, all goodwill associated therewith, and any derivative work thereof. Customer acknowledges that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt asserts that the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products embody valuable confidential and trade secret information of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt , the development of which required the expenditure of considerable time and money. All trademarks appearing in or on the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products are the property of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and its respective third party owners. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt disclaims any affiliation or endorsement of such third parties’ goods or services and does not intend to imply any third party’s endorsement of the goods and services of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt . Nothing in this Agreement shall be interpreted as a transfer of any of the aforementioned intellectual property or proprietary rights from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to Customer. No part of any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products may be reproduced in whole or in part, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt .
- Security Measures. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt may from time to time implement password protection, anti-copying subroutines or other security measures for the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products, and Customer shall cooperate with any such measures that are part of a Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product as of the date it is licensed to Customer.
- Audit Rights. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt shall have the right, from time to time, upon five (5) days’ prior notice to Customer, to audit Customer’s usage of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products so as to ensure compliance with the provisions of this Agreement.
- Injunctive Relief. Customer specifically agrees that in the event of a breach or threatened breach by Customer of its obligations under Section 2 or Section 3 of this Agreement, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt could suffer substantial and irreparable damage, which could be of a character which could not be fully compensated for solely by a recovery of money damages. Accordingly, Customer hereby expressly agrees that in the event of a breach or threatened breach of Section 2 or Section 3 of this Agreement, in addition to and not in lieu of any damages that may be sustained by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt , and any other remedies which Houghton Mifflin Harcourt may pursue hereunder at law or in equity, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt shall have the right to seek equitable relief, including issuance of a temporary or permanent injunction, by any court of competent jurisdiction against the commission or continuance of any such breach or threatened breach, without the necessity of the posting of any bond or other surety therefor. In addition to, and not in limitation of the foregoing, Customer understands and confirms hereby that, in the event of any breach or threatened breach of Section 2 or Section 3 of this Agreement, you hereby agree to indemnify Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for any losses suffered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a result thereof, including, without limitation, all reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs and disbursements incurred as the result of any such breach or threatened breach of Section 2 or Section 3 of this Agreement.
- Intellectual Property Indemnification. Subject to the provisions of Section 8 below, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt shall indemnify and hold Customer and its governing administrative body, Affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys and agents harmless from and against any and all third party claims (and all resulting costs, damages awarded to third parties, third party liabilities and expenses, including attorneys’ fees and costs) arising out of infringement (or alleged infringement) by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt of any third party patent, copyright, trademark or trade secret rights, provided in any such case that Customer: (a) gives written notice of the claim promptly to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt ; (b) gives Houghton Mifflin Harcourt sole control of the defense and settlement of the claim (provided that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt may not settle or defend any claim unless Houghton Mifflin Harcourt unconditionally releases Customer of all liability); (c) provides to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt all available information and assistance; and (d) has not compromised or settled such claim. Notwithstanding clause (c) above, Customer shall have the right at its own cost to assume defense of such third party claim(s) in the event (i) Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is also a party to the same proceeding and Customer determines in good faith that joint representation would be inappropriate or (ii) Houghton Mifflin Harcourt fails to provide reasonable assurance to Customer of its financial capacity to defend such proceeding and provide indemnification with respect to such proceeding.
- Customer shall pay Houghton Mifflin Harcourt the then applicable fees for the use of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) and other products and services as noted on Customer’s applicable Order Form(s), including any applicable shipping fees and taxes (the “Fees”). Customer must pay within thirty (30) days of invoice date for the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) stated in the Order Form(s) or other agreement between the Parties. All pricing terms are confidential, and the Parties agree not to disclose said pricing terms to any third party (excluding its Affiliates, agents or current or potential investors on an as-needed basis).
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt charges and collects Fees in advance for use of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products. Customer shall be responsible for all taxes associated with its use of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) other than U.S. taxes based on the net income of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt . If Customer is an organization that is exempt from sales tax, it is Customer’s responsibility to include a copy of the sales tax exemption form with the applicable Order Form(s), without which Houghton Mifflin Harcourt shall charge sales tax to Customer as applicable. Customer agrees to provide Houghton Mifflin Harcourt with complete and accurate billing and contact information. This information shall include Customer’s legal name, street address, e-mail address, and name and telephone number of an authorized billing contact. Customer agrees to update this information within thirty (30) days of any changes thereto. If the contact information Customer has provided is false, fraudulent or misleading, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt reserves the right to suspend or terminate Customer’s access to the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products in addition to any other legal remedies. Customer will be billed in U. S. dollars and subject to U. S. payment terms. Late fees shall be subject to a finance charge of the lesser of one and five tenths percent (1.5%) per calendar month and the greatest amount allowed by applicable law.
- Term; Termination.
- This Agreement and the License shall have a term commencing on the date as of which Customer receives initial access to the applicable Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s) and shall continue for the term specified on the applicable Order Form(s). Either Party hereto may terminate this Agreement if the other Party materially breaches this Agreement and fails to cure such breach within thirty (30) days’ from receipt of written notice thereof. Section 2, Section 3 and Sections 6 through 11 (inclusive), as well as all accrued payment obligations and any and all license and use restrictions shall survive the termination or expiration, as the case may be, of this Agreement. In the event Customer terminates within thirty (30) days from initial access to the applicable Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Product(s), Customer shall be eligible for a full refund.
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt may terminate this Agreement at any time without cause by providing at least thirty (30) days’ prior written notice to Customer. Upon termination under this Section 5(b),the License shall also terminate. Section 2, Section 3 and Sections 6 through 11 (inclusive), as well as all accrued payment obligations through the date of termination and any and all license and use restrictions shall survive the termination or expiration, as the case may be, of this Agreement.
- Representations and Warranties.
- Each Party represents and warrants to the other Party that it has the legal right, power and authority to enter into this Agreement and that the Person signing on behalf of each such Party is duly authorized to bind such Party.
- Customer represents and warrants to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt that it has taken or will take such steps as are necessary to ensure that the requisite prior written consents have been obtained from the parents or the legal guardians of any and all Authorized Users, as applicable (e. g. , natural persons under the age of 18).
- Disclaimer of Warranties. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN SECTION 6, HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT PROVIDES all HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT PRODUCT(S) “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind, AND HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT hereby disclaimS all OTHER WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT, including, without limitation, THE warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. This disclaimer of warranty constitutes an essential part of this Agreement.
- Limitation of Liability. NEITHER PARTY SHALL BE LIABLE UNDER ANY SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT, UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, FOR ANY: (I) INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, (II) COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE TECHNOLOGY OR SERVICES, OR (III) AMOUNTS IN THE AGGREGATE IN EXCESS OF THE FEES PAID BY CUSTOMER TO HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT DURING THE TWELVE (12)-MONTH PERIOD PRIOR TO THE DATE THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES. THE LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY CONTAINED IN THIS SECTION 8 SHALL NOT APPLY TO EITHER PARTY’S BREACH OF SECTION 9 OR CUSTOMER’S BREACH OF SECTION 2 OR SECTION 3 OR ANY LICENSE OR USE RESTRICTIONS HEREUNDER.
- Confidentiality. “Confidential Information” means all information that (i) the disclosing Party designates as being confidential, or which (ii) by the nature of the information or the manner in which it is disclosed, should be reasonably understood by the receiving Party to be confidential. The receiving Party shall maintain the confidentiality of the disclosing Party’s Confidential Information and will not disclose such information to any third party without the prior written consent of the disclosing Party. The receiving Party will only use the Confidential Information internally for the purposes contemplated hereunder. The obligations in this Section 9 shall not apply to any information that: (i) is made generally available to the public without breach of this Agreement, (ii) is developed by the receiving Party independently from the Confidential Information, (iii) is disclosed to the receiving Party by a third party, which third party is not subject to an obligation in favor of the disclosing Party to keep such Confidential Information confidential, or (iv) was in the receiving Party’s lawful possession prior to the disclosure by the disclosing Party. The receiving Party may disclose Confidential Information as required by law or court order provided that, to the extent permitted by law, it provides the disclosing Party with prompt written notice thereof and uses its best efforts to limit disclosure. At any time, upon disclosing Party’s request, the receiving Party shall return to disclosing Party (or destroy and certify destroyed) all of the disclosing Party’s Confidential Information in its possession, including, without limitation, all copies and extracts thereof. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the receiving Party may disclose Confidential Information to any third-party to the limited extent necessary to perform its obligations, under this Agreement; provided that, all such third parties are bound by obligations of confidentiality and non-use at least as protective of such as this Agreement.
- Export Control. Customer acknowledges and agrees that the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products shall not be used, and none of the underlying information, software, or technology may be transferred or otherwise exported or re-exported to countries as to which the United States maintains an embargo, or to or by a national or resident thereof, or any person or entity on the U. S. Department of Treasury’s List of Specially Designated Nationals or the U. S. Department of Commerce’s Table of Denial Orders. If Customer uses the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products from outside the United States of America, Customer is solely responsible for compliance with all applicable laws, including without limitation export and import regulations of other countries. Any diversion of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products contrary to United States law is strictly prohibited.
- Notices. Notice required or desired to be given by the Parties under this Agreement shall be in writing and will be mailed by first-class, registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, by U. S. express mail or a nationally recognized overnight mail service (e. g. , FedEx), or transmitted by hand delivery, or facsimile transmission addressed as follows:
If to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt :
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- 5 North Road
- CT 06820
If to Customer, as set forth in the applicable Order Form(s).
Any Party may designate by written notice to the other Party(ies) a new address to which any notice may thereafter be given.
- Force Majeure. Neither party hereto shall be held responsible for any delay in performance of any part of this Agreement to the extent such delay results from causes beyond its reasonable control and without its fault or negligence (“Force Majeure Event”) provided, however, that the non-performing Party shall act diligently and in good faith to (i) minimize potential cost, loss or damage to the other Party due to such non-performance and (ii) perform its obligations under this Agreement as soon as the Force Majeure Event has subsided or can be avoided.
- Press Release. Customer hereby agrees and consents to the use of Customer’s name in a press release by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt which may announce Customer’s use of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products. Customer grants Houghton Mifflin Harcourt the right to use Customer’s name on any of its websites (and in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt marketing material) as part of a Houghton Mifflin Harcourt customer list.
- Severability. Should any provision of this Agreement be held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be enforceable only if modified, or if any portion of this Agreement shall be held as unenforceable and thus stricken, such holding shall not affect the validity of the remainder of this Agreement, the balance of which shall continue to be binding upon the Parties with any such modification to become a part hereof and treated as though originally set forth in this Agreement. The Parties further agree that any such court is expressly authorized to modify any such unenforceable provision of this Agreement in lieu of severing such unenforceable provision from this Agreement in its entirety, whether by rewriting the offending provision, deleting any or all of the offending provision, adding additional language to this Agreement or by making such other modifications as it deems warranted to carry out the intent and agreement of the Parties as embodied herein to the maximum extent permitted by law. The Parties expressly agree that this Agreement as so modified by the court shall be binding upon and enforceable against each of them. In any event, should one or more of the provisions of this Agreement be held to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable in any respect, such invalidity, illegality or unenforceability shall not affect any other provisions hereof, and if such provision or provisions are not modified as provided above, this Agreement shall be construed as if such invalid, illegal or unenforceable provisions had not been set forth herein.
- Assignment. Neither Party hereto may assign this Agreement without the express written consent of the other Party, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either Party may, without the express written consent of the other Party, assign all its rights and obligations hereunder to: (a) any of its Affiliates; (b) any entity that results from a merger or consolidation with such Party; or (c) any purchaser or other acquirer of substantially all of such Party’s assets or equity, provided that such assignee agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement as a condition to such assignment.
- Entire Agreement; Amendments; Nature of Relationship. Both Parties agree that this Agreement and the Attachments hereto, as well as the applicable Order Form(s) in respect of any of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Products constitute the complete and exclusive statement of the mutual understanding of the Parties and supersede and cancel all previous written and oral agreements, communications and other understandings relating to the subject matter of this Agreement, and that all waivers and modifications must be in a writing signed by both Parties, except as otherwise provided herein. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment is created as a result of this Agreement, Customer does not have any authority of any kind to bind Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in any respect whatsoever, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt does not have any authority of any kind to bind Customer in any respect whatsoever. In any action or proceeding to enforce rights under this Agreement, the prevailing Party will be entitled to recover reasonable actual costs including attorneys’ fees.
- No Waiver. No waiver of any provision of this Agreement by either arty shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such provision or any other provision, and either Party’s failure to assert any right or provision under this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
- Headings. The headings throughout this Agreement are for reference purposes only, and the words contained therein shall in no way be held to explain, modify, amplify or aid in the interpretation, construction or meaning of the provisions of this Agreement.
- Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Customer hereby agree that the exclusive and sole jurisdiction and venue for all disputes arising under this Agreement shall be the state and Federal courts located in New York, New York. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Customer hereby waive the right to a jury trial.
- Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in one or more original, facsimile or electronic counterparts (i. e. , portable document format, or pdf), all of which when taken together shall constitute one document.
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
- INTRODUCTION; GENERAL
This End User License Agreement (this “Agreement”) is between you, the user of any of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites (“you” which includes your parents or legal guardians if you are under the legal age of majority) and us with regard to any of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites. PLEASE READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING ANY HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT SITE. By using any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Site or by clicking a box that states that you accept or agree to these terms, you signify your acknowledgment and agreement with the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
Note that special terms apply to some services offered on certain Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites, like subscription-based services or other features or activities. These special terms are posted in connection with the applicable service or other features or activities. Any such terms are in addition to the terms of this Agreement, and in the event of a conflict, prevail over the terms of this Agreement.
Unless you are visiting a Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Site that specifically allows otherwise, you are of over the age of 18, or your parent or legal guardian has provided any and all necessary consents to permit your usage of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites.
You acknowledge that your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement are supported by reasonable and valuable consideration, the receipt and adequacy of which are hereby acknowledged. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you acknowledge that such consideration includes your use of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites and receipt of data, materials and information available at or through the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites.
- USE OF CONTENT
All information, materials, functions and other content contained on Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites (“Content”) are our copyrighted property or the copyrighted property of our licensors or licensees. All trademarks, service marks, trade names, and trade dress are proprietary to us and/or our licensors or licensees. We may change the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites or delete Content or features at any time, in any way, for any or no reason.
Except as we specifically agree in writing, no Content may be used, reproduced, transmitted, distributed or otherwise exploited in any way other than as part of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Site, except that where a Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Site is configured to enable the download of particular Content, you may download one copy of such Content to a single computer for your personal, noncommercial home use only, provided that you: (a) keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices; (b) make no modifications to the Content; and (c) do not use the Content in a manner that suggests an association with any of our products, services or brands. Any business use, “re-mailing” or high-volume or automated use of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites is prohibited.
In the event that we offer downloads of software on a Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Site and you download such software, such software, including any files, images incorporated in or generated by such software, and data accompanying such software (collectively, the “Software”) are licensed to you by us or third-party licensors, as applicable, for your personal, noncommercial home use only for educational or instructional purposes only. We do not transfer title to the Software to you. You shall not distribute or otherwise exploit the Software or decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-readable form.
Some services on the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites may permit or require you to create an account to participate or to secure additional benefits. You agree to provide, maintain and update true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by our registration processes (the “Registration Data”). You shall not impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or entity, including using another person’s username, password or other account information, or another person’s name, likeness, voice, image or photograph. You also agree to promptly notify us at email@example.com of any unauthorized use of your username, password, other account information, or any other breach of security that you become aware of involving or relating to any Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Site. In addition, you agree to exit from your account at the end of each session.
- CONTENT ACCESSIBLE THROUGH LINKS FROM HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT SITES AND SEARCH RESULTS
You agree that we cannot be held responsible for the accuracy, relevance, legality or decency of material contained on sites retrieved in searches and/or listed in search results or identified on search results pages.
THE CONTENT ON OR OTHERWISE RELATED IN ANY WAY TO HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT SITES OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES OR SERVICES LINKED TO FROM ANY HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, AVAILABILITY, SECURITY, COMPATABILITY AND NONINFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT ANY CONTENT WILL BE ERROR-FREE, THAT ACCESS THERETO WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT ANY HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT SITE OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE SUCH CONTENT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. MOREOVER, YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. WE DO NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OR THE RESULTS OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT. YOU HEREBY IRREVOCABLY WAIVE ANY CLAIM AGAINST US WITH RESPECT TO CONTENT AND ANY INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO THIRD PARTY SITES (INCLUDING CREDIT CARD AND OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION).
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- JURISDICTIONAL AND VENUE ISSUES
- GENERAL PROVISIONS
Supply of goods, services and software through Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites is subject to U.S. export control and economic sanctions requirements. By acquiring any such items through Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites, you represent and warrant that your acquisition comports with and your use of the item will comport with those requirements. Without limiting the foregoing, you may not acquire goods, services or software through Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Sites if: 1) you are in, under the control of, or a national or resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria or if you are on the U.S. Treasury Department’s Specially Designated Nationals List or the U.S. Commerce Department’s Denied Persons List, Unverified List or Entity List; or 2) you intend to supply the acquired goods, services or software to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria (or a national or resident of one of these countries) or to a person on the Specially Designated Nationals List, Denied Persons List, Unverified List or Entity List.
KNEWTON TERMS OF SERVICE
The following terms (the “Knewton Terms”) apply to the adaptive learning services (the “Knewton Services”) provided by Knewton, Inc. (“Knewton”).
Knewton Accounts. Users access the Knewton Services through an account they establish with the Enterprise Partner. To receive the full benefit of the Knewton Services by maintaining a longitudinal learning profile across various products and subject domain, a user will need to create an account directly with Knewton (a “Knewton Account”) in addition to the account you establish with the Enterprise Partner. If a user is not presented the opportunity to create a Knewton Account during the registration process, the product offered by the Enterprise Partner does not currently have the capability to allow for this functionality. If a user does not have a Knewton Account, Knewton may not be able to apply the user’s personalized learning profile when the user takes an online learning course with the Enterprise Partner (or other Enterprise Partners) that is powered by Knewton’s adaptive learning technology. To the extent a user creates a separate Knewton Account: • There is no charge to create the Knewton Account. • Please be assured that Knewton will not use or sell any personal information that you give Knewton when you create a Knewton Account for marketing purposes without your consent. Further, we do not use personally identifiable information collected from students at K-12 schools to engage in behavioral targeting of advertisements. • A parent, guardian or authorized school representative must consent to the creation of a Knewton Account for any user who is under 13. • When you create a Knewton Account, you will select a username and password for the account. Each user is responsible for protecting the confidentiality of the username and password for their Knewton Account, and for all activities that occur under their Knewton Account. Each user must immediately notify Knewton (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) upon becoming aware of any loss, compromise or unauthorized use of their username or password or any other breach of security relating to their Knewton Account. Changes to Knewton Services. Knewton may change, suspend, discontinue and/or impose usage limitations on the Knewton Services at any time, for any reason or no reason, and with or without notice. Knewton will not have any liability to you or any other user in any such event. User Conduct. Users may not use the Knewton Services for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, or any other purpose not reasonably intended by Knewton. By way of example, and not as a limitation, each user agrees not to use the Knewton Services in any manner that could: (i) damage, impair, disable or overburden the Knewton Services, (ii) in any way interfere with Knewton’s rights or with any other user’s use and enjoyment of the Knewton Services, (iii) be for any illegal purpose, or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law, or (iv) otherwise infringe on any person’s rights. To the extent interactions with other users of the Knewton Services is permitted, each user is solely responsible for their interactions with other users of the Knewton Services. Knewton is not responsible for any damage or harm resulting from interactions between or among users of the Knewton Services. Knewton reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor interactions between or among users of the Knewton Services and to take any other action in good faith to restrict access to or the availability of any material that Knewton or another user of the Knewton Services may consider obscene, violent, harassing or otherwise objectionable. Knewton Proprietary Materials. Knewton’s website, Knewton’s software and technology and any other items made available through the Knewton Services (collectively, “Knewton Proprietary Materials”) are the intellectual property of Knewton or its licensors. The Knewton Proprietary Materials do not include any course materials or online learning applications provided by Knewton’s Enterprise Partners; each user’s use of any such course materials and online learning applications is subject to terms agreed to by the user and the applicable Enterprise Partner. Except as may be expressly permitted elsewhere in the Knewton Terms, neither you nor any other user may copy, distribute, rent, loan, lease, sublicense, modify, translate, otherwise prepare derivative works of, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or remove any proprietary notices, labels, or marks from any of the Knewton Proprietary Materials. Right to Use and Access. Knewton grants you (or the user for whom you are agreeing to the Knewton Terms) a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable right to access and use those portions of the Knewton Services that Knewton makes available to you or such user, solely for personal, noncommercial, noncompetitive use, in accordance with the Knewton Terms. Neither you nor any other user may transfer the foregoing rights, and any attempt to do so shall cause such rights to automatically terminate. Special Terms for Educators. The terms in this paragraph are only applicable to users who are instructors or other authorized personnel of a school or other institution (“Educators”) who are accessing the Knewton Services in connection with the Knewton Services being provided to students at such institution. You hereby acknowledge that you may have access to additional content and portions of Knewton’s website that are not otherwise accessible to student users, which may include information about individual student users. You agree that you will access and use such information and the Knewton Services solely to the extent necessary for you to perform your services as an Educator at your institution and will not disclose such information except in connection with the foregoing or as otherwise permitted herein, or as permitted in a separate agreement between Knewton and your institution.
Other Services of Knewton. Knewton also offers other online services to users, in addition to the Knewton Services. Those other services are subject to the terms of service that are posted on Knewton’s website at knewton.com. Disclaimers. THE KNEWTON SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, KNEWTON EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, ALL WITH REGARD TO YOUR USE OF THE KNEWTON SERVICES. ANY USE OF THE KNEWTON SERVICES IS AT THE USER’S SOLE RISK.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, KNEWTON DOES NOT WARRANT THAT (i) THE KNEWTON SERVICES WILL MEET ANY PARTICULAR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) THE KNEWTON SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE KNEWTON SERVICES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, (iv) THE QUALITY OF ANY CONTENT, SERVICES OR OTHER ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE KNEWTON SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR OR ANY USER’S EXPECTATIONS, OR (v) ANY ERRORS IN ANY DATA OR SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED.
IF A USER ACCESSES OR TRANSMITS ANY CONTENT THROUGH THE KNEWTON SERVICES, THE USER DOES SO AT ITS OWN DISCRETION AND SOLE RISK. EACH USER IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO IT IN CONNECTION WITH SUCH ACTIONS. Limitation of Liability. KNEWTON WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (EVEN IF KNEWTON HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE KNEWTON TERMS AND/OR THE KNEWTON SERVICES. IN NO EVENT WILL KNEWTON’S AGGREGATE, CUMULATIVE LIABILITY TO YOU (AND ANY OTHER USER FOR WHOM YOU ARE AGREEING TO THE KNEWTON TERMS) ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THE KNEWTON TERMS AND/OR THE KNEWTON SERVICES EXCEED THE AMOUNTS YOU HAVE PAID TO US FOR THE KNEWTON SERVICES (IF ANY) DURING THE ONE (1) MONTH PRECEDING THE DATE ON WHICH A CLAIM FIRST ARISES. To the extent that any of the exclusions or limitations of liability set forth in this Section are not permitted under applicable law, then such exclusions and limitations shall apply to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Knewton, its officers, directors, employees, agents, service providers, Enterprise Partners, vendors and customers from and against all losses, expenses, damages and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees resulting from (i) any violation of the Knewton Terms by you (or by any other user for whom you are agreeing to the Knewton Terms) or (ii) any harm caused by you (or by any other user for whom you are agreeing to the Knewton Terms) in connection with the use of the Knewton Services (including, for the avoidance of doubt, any competitive harm to use arising from any use of the Knewton Services by you or by any other user for whom you are agreeing to the Knewton Terms). Notice. Knewton may communicate any notices to you, including notices of changes to the Knewton Terms, through email, regular mail or by posting of those notices through the Knewton Services. You may contact us here, or via mail or courier at: Knewton, Inc. ATTN: Legal Department 100 5th Ave. , New York, NY 10011 USA. Changes to The Knewton Terms. Knewton reserves the right to make changes to these terms by posting such changes on Knewton’s website or through the Knewton Services (or, where applicable, through the services of Knewton’s Enterprise Partners). Any such posted changes will be effective upon the date indicated by the posting, but in any event not sooner than 14 days after posting or such longer period as may be required by applicable law. You shall be responsible for reviewing and becoming familiar with any such changes. Your (or any other user for whom you are agreeing to these terms) continued use of the Knewton Services shall constitute acceptance of the terms as modified. If you do not want to agree to such changes to these terms or are otherwise dissatisfied with the Knewton Services or these terms, you may terminate these terms at any time by discontinuing use of the Knewton Services. Any provision of these terms, which by its nature or express terms should survive, will survive any such termination or expiration. Governing Law and Venue. You agree that: (i) the Knewton Services shall be deemed solely based in New York; and (ii) the Knewton Services shall be deemed a passive website that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over Knewton, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than New York. The Knewton Terms and the relationship between you and Knewton shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York without regard to its conflicts of law provisions. You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or relating to use of the Knewton Services or the Knewton Terms must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred. You further consent and agree that the courts of the State of New York are the exclusive forum for litigation of any claim or cause of action arising out of or relating to use of the Knewton Services or the Knewton Terms. Miscellaneous. Any failure by Knewton to exercise any rights or enforce any of the Knewton Terms shall not constitute a waiver of such rights or terms. If any provision of the Knewton Terms or their application in a particular circumstance is held to be invalid or unenforceable to any extent, the remainder of the Knewton Terms, or the application of such provision in other circumstances, shall not be affected thereby, and each provision hereof shall be valid and enforced to the fullest extent permitted by law. These terms do not confer any third party beneficiary rights.
Effective date: May 22, 2018| Copyright © 2018 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.